If you’re like me, and you have been recently diagnosed with higher than normal cholesterol or you are trying to eat a healthy cholesterol lowering diet in general (always a good idea!) you will probably want to start educating yourself on what you need to eat.
Below are 9 websites that I’ve found very useful in putting together a food-based programme for myself to reduce my cholesterol naturally without statins.
There’s a lot of somewhat useful but repetitious info online (think: copy/paste), along with plain wrong and unfactual information when it comes to cholesterol websites. I find the majority of articles unhelpful or just too basic. Below are some of the best web resources I have found over the last year that helped me to formulate my own personal firefight: Me vs. cholesterol (and guess what – I won!! You can read my story here).
My top websites are ones that provided some insight beyond “what is high cholesterol, what is LDL, HDL, etc.” – you will be able to find thousands of basic “what is it” definitions online. What made my cut were web pages that provided specific insights into practical things I could use everyday to either get my cholesterol lowered quickly or provide me with a mindset that would give me a better way of processing the information I was finding. Keep in mind that what I’ve noticed is that you have to go to multiple sources to get the full story on cholesterol. I don’t agree with every page of the websites below, and in fact sometimes there is conflicting advice (for example most medical websites will say “eat this and that to lower your cholesterol” but also they may advise on the same page to “take statin medication to lower your cholesterol” which is not necessary if you are eating a healthy cholesterol lowering diet in the majority of cases). These particular webpages below are very helpful and I have returned to them more than once.
Getting started: Document your “before” level and then set a target so you can track your progress
- What’s a good target level? Set a goal for cholesterol reduction: https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-levels/CL00001
Eat specific foods that reduce cholesterol
- Top 5 foods to reduce cholesterol: https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002
- British Medical Journal: The “Polymeal” to reduce cholesterol: https://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/dec/17/medicineandhealth.sciencenews
- 11 foods that lower cholesterol: https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/October/11-foods-that-lower-cholesterol
- How to lower cholesterol quickly: https://www.ehow.com/how_7845595_lower-cholesterol-30-days.html
- Powerful documentary including examples on how foods heal our bodies: https://www.foodmatters.tv/
Don’t be scared about cholesterol (like I was!) It’s not an inevitable part of ageing or the best indicator of heart disease
- The Myth Surrounding Cholesterol Reduction that ‘s Harming You: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/10/making-sense-of-your-cholesterol-numbers.aspx
Danger of statins (and also why women in particular should steer clear)
- Why most people (but particularly women) should not take statins: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/martha-rosenberg/statins_b_1818370.html
- A history of statin development, and what you haven’t been told: https://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/dangers-of-statin-drugs
I hope you enjoy learning from these 9 webpages. I found them very useful in creating a healthy mindset and action plan to reduce my cholesterol. I’ll share what I found to be the best books on lowering cholesterol in one of my next posts.