Get gorgeous skin fast with easy green smoothie
Let’s continue natural beauty month with an easy daily habit that gives quick results. Something that completely surprised me about drinking green smoothies everyday was how quickly my skin responded to the influx of nutrients. Here I was trying to increase my overall heart health and out of the blue people started complimenting me on my skin! Nice! Skin can be dramatically improved by diet and lifestyle and this month I will share with you several green smoothie recipes that are skin boosters extraordinaire.
Skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, acne, rosacea, keratosis pilaris, lichen planus, as well as other skin rashes, dry skin, itchy skin, and bumpy skin all have a diet related component. You can slow down the rate of ageing as well as the severity and healing time of skin problems by getting the nutrient balance right in your body.
- Improve skin tone and youthfulness with Vitamin A: Beta carotene is the plant form of Vitamin A and it’s found in bright orange foods like carrots, sweet potatoes, red peppers, mangos and oranges as well as our green smoothie kingpins: spinach and kale. This smoothie contains 10 times the daily requirement for Vitamin A so you can store up moderate amounts for when you’ll need it. Beta carotene is a fat soluble antioxidant that has the uncanny ability to just hang out, waiting in the right spots inside your body (um – over here in my FACE please!) where it acts as a local police force to take on any invaders that might seek to damage and degrade your collagen fibres. It’s great at improving skin tone and regulating your oil secretions to deal with any unwanted blackheads or whiteheads too.
- Clarify skin and facial contours: In the last post we covered how Omega 3’s are one of the best things you can eat for clear skin. Found in things like fish, flax seeds, chia seeds, and spinach, omega 3’s speed the healing time of skin lesions as well as reduces redness and swelling.
- Heal wounds from skin eruptions: The citrus fruits like lime and orange in this recipe along with the spinach, and mango contain Vitamin C which helps with fighting infection and healing the wounds that are created from skin eruptions.
- Help cells regenerate and heal skin quicker: Pumpkin seeds contain zinc which is a crucial skin mineral. It helps with wound healing as well as sebum regulation for when your skin can’t make up it’s mind if it’s oily or dry!
- Plumper fuller skin with less wrinkles: The vitamin E from the avocados, spinach, mango, orange and lime in this smoothie help protect the fatty layers of your skin where collagen is susceptible to attack from free radicals.
- Glossy hair and strong nails: Cucumber and other foods that have super shiny skins contains silica (think bright red glossy peppers too). Silica is a great beauty mineral which inhibits the process of ageing in our tissues. It can prevent the splitting and spoiling of the nails of the fingers and the toes. It promotes hair growth and glossiness too!
- All this and heart healthy too! You can read my primer on green smoothies and their wonderful antioxidant levels that impact your heart and speed up cholesterol reduction here. This smoothie has an antioxidant ORAC value of 7823 which means you get more than a whole days worth (112%) of the recommended daily amount of antioxidants.